With the holidays dinners and parties tucked under the belt, now is the time that lots of people swear that this year they’ll lose those extra ____ pounds that they’ve gained over the past few holidays… And to do this, they go on a “[insert silly name] diet”.
Diet. That’s such a dirty word. To me, the concept of dieting is that when someone temporarily deprives herself/himself of some food group, only to give in and binge on that edible contraband a couple months later. Diets never last and usually only end in guilt down the road.
But hey. I get it, friends! I’ve been there too. I took a look at the scale, and I wasn’t exactly thrilled at what I saw. Then after trying all those futile diets, I decided to adopt a longer term solution by tweaking my overall foodie lifestyle.
Delicious Philosophy #1: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
For a majority of my foods, I spend my calories on foods that are very dense in good nutrition and high in fiber – lots of whole vegetables and fruits, with some minimally processed whole grains and less-fatty meats. With nutritionally dense, high fiber calories, I’m feeding my body the best fuel it can have, helping myself feel better, have more energy, and actually feel less hungry between meals. Plus, it’s almost impossible to overeat on vegetables and whole fruits – trust me I’ve tried.
Delicious Philosophy #2: EAT WHAT YOU CAN SAY.
Delicious Philosophy #3: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION, INCLUDING MODERATION.
95% of the time, I follow the first two philosophies really well. The other 5% of the time I indulge in my indulgences – because life’s a one-way street, and sometimes I want to eat in a way that hedonist-bot would approve.
If you follow the first two philosophies I mentioned 29 days of the month, one day of crazy indulgence won’t kill you. It won’t even deter you from your ultimate goal of being a healthy weight and having an overall healthy lifestyle. I call this day my “cheat day”, where no nutrition or health rules apply. Bacon with a bloody mary for breakfast, pizza with craft beer for lunch, and steak with wine for dinner? YES! But only for one day a month…not one day a week or every other day.