Winter Pro Tip: Ovens make for the best space heaters. They warm up the home while making something tasty for the tummy. I can't think of a better win-win situation at this moment.
The Siberian cold front is upon Chicago in full force. Today's weather is a eyeball-freezing high of "too cold for any thermostat to be effective" - brought to you by Google, my open living room window, and my failing radiator heaters.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- If you have a convection setting on your oven, I recommend using this setting to preheat the oven to 350°F. Otherwise, preheat a regular oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and mix well.
- Evenly sprinkle the baking soda and baking powder over the dough and thoroughly mix.
- Mix in the flour. Set aside the electric hand mixer.
- Using a large mixing spoon, manually stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.
- Shape the dough into 1.5" balls and place the dough balls about 2" apart from each other on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Don't skip the parchment paper - it is not the same as non-stick cooking spray - parchment paper helps to keep the cookies from spreading out too much.
- Place the baking sheets with dough balls in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes. This chilling will ensure the cookies are soft and fluffy, not flat and crispy.
- Once the dough balls are chilled, bake them in the convection oven for 13 minutes. If using a regular oven, bake the cookies on the center rack for 12-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after 6 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before eating or storing.